Thursday, March 22, 2018

That Perfect Childhood Love

My daughter is five years old (almost six).  She has magnetism, a spiritual sixth sense, tremendous empathy, and a contagious giggle.  She has wild hair like her Mom, is so smart and creative, is mischievous and courageous, and even told me this morning about seeing the shape of a hippopotamus in a tutu in her oatmeal.  And nearly everything is transformed into a dramatic dance in her mind, which she then performs just about anywhere when the inspiration strikes her.  She has music coursing through her veins.  Always has.  She's almost too good to believe. 

She has this boyfriend.  In kindergarten.  I know... how can a kindergarten boyfriend be worth writing about here?  All I can say is don't go thinking this is trite or just cute... even Cute with a capital "c".  It's way better than that.

This little boy is so stinking adorable.  And he has the cutest long in the front and short in the back haircut.  They hold hands on field trips.  And I'm sure other times, too.  I have adorable photos to prove it.  It's just beyond precious.  His Mom reached out to me by text a few weeks ago to share those photos and to set up a playdate, and our two kids exchanged videos of themselves jumping up and down for joy via Mom texts in anticipation of the playdate.  They've had just the one playdate so far, but he lives only a few blocks away (with a park in between), so there will be many more to come.  And his older brother is my son's age, and they were in their TAG class together last year before my son switched schools this year. 

I went to read books to their class this morning at the beginning of the day, and when my daughter pointed at me from her classroom table as he sat next to her, and she told him I am her Mom, his jaw dropped and he just stared at me.  And then he came and sat right by me while I read.  And no less than five kids told me they were boyfriend and girlfriend when I was sitting patiently waiting for morning routines to be done before I began reading to all the kids on the reading rug.  I just smiled each time and said, "I know."  I've heard about him for months.  And knew my daughter considers him to be her boyfriend.  But I never expected this....

So, I had the pleasure of meeting his family tonight at an event at my daughter's school.  And I got teary just now remembering the conversation I had with his Mom.  She said her son has been talking about my daughter since the school year began in August and that he says all the time that he is going to marry her.  He has been begging to have a playdate with her for months.  He also refuses to hold his Mom's hand anymore (he's six...) because he only wants to hold my daughter's.  His Mom then told me that she said to him, "Well, what if she's not around?  You can hold my hand then, right?"  And he said, "No, she would know."  And I knew in my belly that he was right somehow.  My daughter would know because she just knows things.  His Mom also asked him what he likes about my daughter.  And do you know what he said?  "Mom... we're just the same."  He found his kindred spirit and he's sure of it.  And he's six. 

I am so moved beyond belief at seeing this pure adoration and love for my precious girl.  And how she just shines when she talks about him.  Siiiiiiiiiiiigh.  💗

No comments:

Post a Comment